Saturday, October 4, 2008



Here's a quick bird's eye view of a couple of MY focal points.
Starting (left to right):
  • When I think of Michigan City, I think of Lake Michigan. When I was living in W. La Fayette, I missed not being able to drive past the lake. It has its own smell ... not a bad smell, but a unique one. I could probably be anywhere in the world, and pick out this scent. In the winter, its all iced over. The lake's waves freeze in motion - just gorgeous ice formations that only moving water can make.
  • The second photo is the harbor. We have a tremendous Chicago influx once May 1 passes. We're their summer dwelling place, just an hour away and a straight shot on I-94. They're coming here for the low real estate next to the lake where they can do their boating on our beautiful lake. So, this is the harbor where they dock! Of course, some locals use the harbor too!
  • The old band shell was the site of many band concerts at Washington Park in its early years. Washington Park is actually part of the whole lakefront and was really a tourist attraction in former years. Even tho there's little left that resembles its former years, some structures do remain, and the band shell is one of them. Loren and I were married there and it was a gorgeous setting! Later, we'll explore more of the wedding there and the park and zoo!
  • This is my church, St. Paul Lutheran. I went to Vacation Bible School here, my children attended parochial school here, and my daughter was married here. Its a beautiful, old fashioned church in every sense of the word.
  • We have the only Indiana lighthouse on all of Lake Michigan. It has a wonderful fog horn and the US Coast Guard station is all right there on the same front. I'm sure that horn has saved many lives. The US Coast Guard is very busy during our summer with all the alcohol and boating. Unfortunately, they not only do Homeland Security and also police the lakefront, but they are also responsible for responding to drownings that are almost inevitable in a living body of water as huge as this lake.
  • Next, my beautiful daughter, Natalie, and her lab in the camo vest
  • ... and lastly is my daughter and son, Kris, and the little boy is my grandson, also named Kristoffer. The little girl is a stepsister.

So that's it for today. Now you have a "feel" for the northern Midwest, as I know it!


Mark 5:13 (Whole Chapter) So Jesus gave them permission. The evil spirits came out of the man and entered the pigs, and the entire herd of 2,000 pigs plunged down the steep hillside into the lake and drowned in the water.






No comments: